Friday, December 6, 2013

Snow & Reindeer in Tarpon Springs!




Tarpon Springs children were delighted to make snow balls and play in the snow today in the heat......



It was reported that Santa's reindeer would be making an appearance this afternoon about 4p.  There was a street fair on Tarpon Ave as there was last week....I walked down the entire area that was blocked off to cars... checked twice with police...Every time they said YES they are here.....went back down the same street and then checked the cross streets.  Funny, I could smell them but couldn't see them...my smeller gets me in trouble now and then but actually saved us from an electrical fire once when I smelled the hot wires before there was a flame....well, it sure wasn't helping now!   I think the eyes are getting worse and the nose more sensitive because I walked right passed them at least twice before I finally saw them.




Did you know that adult reindeer only stand three and half feet tall at the shoulder?  Stocky little guys weighing between 250 to 350 lbs.  And both the male and the female have antlers?!  They have been domesticated in northern Scandinavia and Russia for centuries.... used as draft and pack animals. Their broad hooves work well in snow.....OR... on grass in FL.....poor things, their coats are thick and waterproof.....so they must have thought they were being cooked in the 82 degree heat today.  Normally they live on a farm in New York... when Santa isn't using them on Christmas Eve. I watched them carefully thinking they might try to fly over the fence but saw no sign of flight.... but, of course, that only happens on that one special magical night.....





No comments:

Post a Comment