Sunday, September 1, 2013

A Little Bit of Chicago Architecture






This afternoon I had to walk past where they are shooting a movie and they were letting folks stop and watch and take photos.  I was pretty exited cause folks were yelling, “There he is”!  So I just pointed the camera, zoomed in a bit and started snapping photos not knowing if I was “capturing” the “he” or not.  But later found out my camera was still set on “fire works” from last night so not one pictures was good!


I have done something to my back, a lot of pain when I walk if I don't sit often so we decided to do the much talked about Architectural Tour down the Chicago River as I could sit for this Adventure.  Again, this was not my day to take good pictures!  I think that the best position to observe on this tour might be on your back as the buildings are so very close it is hard to see the tops of them and nearly impossible for this amateur to photograph well.

The plan was for Walter to take notes as I took the pictures but it all went way too fast for us to get the details so I have only a little info with some of the pictures.  But it was a great way to see Chicago from the River!

The beginning of our tour:



I liked this building because it reflected the building across from it.


These two buildings looked like twin corn cobs and were part of Marina City. This is a condo with parking on lower level and housing above.  No one parks their own car cause they might put it in the river!  A small marina for boats is below these buildings.



This building is so big that at one time it had its own zip code!  It was the Montgomery Ward building housing all the merchandise for the catalog company.





Here a building was built according to the owner's requests... he didn't want ANY corner offices!  So solid concrete fills the corners.


On the other hand the owner of this building wanted 2 corner offices on every corner.. it's a little blurry.



This building is built over the railroad and no support posts could be put down on one corner so it is cantilevered with that web of structure on the roof!






A building that follows the curvature of the river.



A pretty park along the river.







The sun had set and the City lights were just coming on....



Good night all from Chicago!










No comments:

Post a Comment