Thursday, November 14, 2013

Cold Morning in Ft. Walton Beach




It was 32 degrees with a 20 knot wind blowing and we were alone on the dock when it was time to drop the lines. The only other boat leaving today had left before us and it was too early for the dock hands to arrive. We put on several layers of clothes and wished for gloves for our freezing fingers!

It takes some studying of the wind and how the boat is pulling on her lines to know which line to let go first.....especially with high piles all around the boat. We have to try to keep the dinghy and its motor from getting whacked on these posts.  As usual the Captain did an amazing job without those nifty side thrusters... just maneuvering with the two engines and me running around pulling in lines as he call them.  After putting away two lines in the deck box I carried the others to the enclosed sun deck... told the Captain I would fool with them later when I could feel my hands again!

The Choctawhatchee Bay is a large open body of water so the waves had plenty of lake length to build up before they hit us. The BIG difference was the direction of the wind....we were cruising into this wind so the waves were hitting us at the bow and yes it was lumpy going but much more comfortable than rolling side to side as we would have done had we not stayed in port two nights. Here are some wave photos taken from inside the boat down closer to the water level.  I didn't go out on deck until much later in the day when it warmed up a bit.

Yes, I was wearing my sea bands!



We passed this barge in the open lake.



After rockin' and rollin' for 3 hours the water settled down and then we entered a narrow canal which is part of the Gulf ICW.



It concerned us that we heard many boaters calling tows asking permission to pass....and at the same time asking about the shallowness on each side... Tow captains confirmed that and gave exact directions as how each boat should pass them or told them to wait until the tow had gone completely around a turn.  I was thinking if the tows are going the same way we are we would not have to pass them...just go slow until we are out of the canal...but Walter said the canal would take us at least 2 hours & we needed to get through it and another lake before we docked.

It became too warm on the bridge for me... my seat seems to always be in the sun which did feel good at first but I ended up leaving for a chair on the sun deck.   It was quiet for a good while and THEN I heard the Captain hollering “Whoa” and suddenly slowing the engines to idle!   I grabbed the camera......up ahead too quick for me to get a photo of what he saw first was a barge coming around a very sharp bend in the canal!  All Walter saw was just the front end of this tow peaking out around the corner.....a very narrow turn!




I had put the camera down and was watching from the bridge when I realized how close we would be passing this tow!  I ran with the camera...opened the side deck door ….. I think this is the closest pass we have ever made... and no one went in the mud!



After passing under this bridge we would be in the open water of St. Andrew Bay and close to our destination of Panama City, FL.



This being open water we had to watch for the markers to stay in the deeper channel... here these Cormorants made sure we saw the green marker.



In this Bay we could see far off where the smoke we had seen earlier was coming from... still have not heard anything about this fire but it was a big one.



We passed under several bridges today but this one, the Hathaway Bridge, was so pretty... had the cleanest lines.......






As soon as we were docked the boat had to be washed down with fresh water...salt so thick on windows/ports you could not see out of them.  While the Captain tended to this job I walked about 3 blocks to the marina office to check in... so glad for the walk! Then while I downloaded photos my sweet fella went for a shrimp dinner for us... bringing it back to the boat. What a guy!


No comments:

Post a Comment