Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Boat Shoes or Walking Shoes?



I love my boat shoes as they keep me from slipping most of the time on the wet deck of our boat. But they don't seem to be as comfortable for walking as my old tennis shoes.
I usually ask this question the night before so I can get out the correct shoes for the day. You see my shoes are stored among boat parts and it can be tricky to find the right pair (or a left & right shoe that match!) between the extra props stashed in the lower port side locker of the master cabin. 

PLAN for the DAY: A change of plans....fun!....Tennis shoes for checking out the local town and going to the Maritime Museum here on Rondout Creek Community.  Before we went into the museum we went to the new Kingston Home Port Center.  Here Ray Curran was displaying his wonderful watercolor paintings.  He often does the first painting of a scene while sitting in his kayak!  As I looked at them I thought how we all see things differently.. some might think this is just junk, maybe an old broken down and rotting boat floating on the water but he saw loveliness there and made it shine.
Painting by Ray Curran
At the Maritime Museum we discovered why Rondout Creek was so important.  Of all the ports along the Hudson Valley it was the best deep-water port and was the center of maritime activity between New York City and Albany.  The first steam boats used were here on the Hudson River.  They had many photos of the fancy passenger steamers, canal boats, barges and tug boats that ran up and down the Hudson.   Here is a picture of the one given as a gift to the Museum... It is a steam tug!

The Mathilda


It was a sunny day here and in town along the city dock we saw several Looper boats we recognized though we never saw their crews.   It did cloud up this afternoon and rained a short time but is clearing now.  I expect the weather to remain fair since the Captain and I went shopping and found some good rain gear before we returned the rental car. :-0

We are hoping to find Albany along the Hudson tomorrow.  May we all find beauty where it is least expected..... 


No comments:

Post a Comment